Externship: Week 3

Friday, November 28, 2008

"Paul Bunyan" returned last week for a follow-up visit. I knew one of the other MAs was working with him but I couldn't resist the urge to poke my head inside the exam room (the door was ajar) to ask him how he was doing.

When I tracked down other MA she was assembling paperwork and supplies in preparation of drawing more of his blood. She already knew about my first encounter with "Paul" and laughed when I picked up the tubes and needles.

As I walked away from her I told her I just wanted to have some fun with him. I could still hear her laughing as I glided into "Paul's" exam room and told him I would be drawing his blood again.

Now, I like to think I am pretty adept at deciphering a variety of facial expressions, but his had me completely stumped. Venturing a guess, I would have to say it was definitely a cross between "You've GOT to be joking!" and "God help me!" and pure terror.

I could still hear the other MA laughing, which started me laughing so I quickly confessed that I was only teasing him and the other MA would be drawing his blood. Imagine my surprise when he said "You can do it if you want to. It's okay."

After going back and forth a few times with him, and assuring him that I would try ONLY once, I relented and set to work. Well, it wasn't so much relenting as it was conquering a challenge. I tried, and failed, three times before and I refused to give up! After applying the tourniquet several times in various locations, I took my time in surveying both arms (and both hands) for the best vein to use.

Finally I located a vein that, although it was not visible through his skin, plumped up nicely when the tourniquet was applied and he made a fist. The first time I drew blood from "Paul" I used the smallest needle we have (called a "Butterfly"). This time I went for the standard needle -- along with high hopes that I would be successful.

I failed. Again. For the FOURTH time. The other MA failed, too. Which, in a way, kind of vindicates me. "Paul" will have to return to our office again soon so we can poke him again. This time neither I nor that particular MA will be doing it!

0 opinions:

 
The Compassionate
Medical Assistant
- by Templates para novo blogger